PROSPECTING IN A PANDEMIC
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WIN OR LOSEAcquiring and retaining strong professional sales relationships remotely is not as daunting as it seems in this new – online only world we are living in. As a Leader, is your sales team virtually afloat and motivated or really sinking? Are you as a manager making the right leadership decisions during this time of change?
The simple truth is effective virtual communication skills could be the difference between winning and losing a sales deal. Just like in-person meetings, there are protocols to a sales meeting to bring about results. DOES YOUR TEAM KNOW HOW TO SELL EFFECTIVELY VIRTUALLY?
Here is both the why – and the how – of effective virtual sales to skyrocket sales results remotely.
1. PREPARE FOR THE VIRTUAL SALES MEETING FIRST
- Make an Appointment: make sure you email an invite to all the participants to accept it – include a link to the web-conference into the invite and make sure you point out that it is a video meeting, so it is no surprise for the client.
- Inform your prospect about your agenda, the questions you are bringing to the table and the goal you are both pursuing.
- Provide your prospect with leeway to decide on the time that is convenient for them.
2. CONTROL THE MEETING
- Encourage everyone to identify themselves before each contribution, “This is Fred from…”
- As host, repeat questions that are asked of you before answering. Some participants may not have heard the question.
- Remind participants before and during the meeting to keep their microphones on mute when they are not speaking.
- If you are bringing in additional material via screen sharing, such as PowerPoint presentations or product demos to make the conversation even more productive, send the documents to participants in advance.
3. MASTER THE ART OF NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATIONDo your remote salespeople know how to listen to yield results? Listening is key to selling. There, the secret is out. Active listening requires both ears and eyes. Ever watched a show on mute (no subtitles)? You get the idea of what is going on yes, but you miss key facts. Selling without listening is akin to watching tv with the volume down to zero.
Reading Non-verbal BehaviourMost interpersonal communication (> 55%) is non-verbal. It may be a revealing facial expression, a particular style of body language, or the subtle yet telling flicker of an eye – these non-verbal communications are key to understanding the person in front of you and how to, in turn, effectively communicate with them. If more than half of what we communicate is non-verbal then more than half of what we are trying to say/sell is being missed if we cannot master our non-verbal styles.
4. ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONSJust because you are not in a person-to-person scenario does not mean you can be lax in your line of questioning. In fact, it is even more vital in video conferencing to ask the right questions in order to engage and hold attention in a remote set up.
The difference between you and your competitor lies in the questions you ask clients.
Do you and your salespeople possess Advanced Questioning skills?
Or does your competition question better than you?
5. OBJECTION HANDLING ONLINEHumans are humans, their environment will change much faster than their mindset and behaviour, therefore being objectionable is a trait even the strongest virus won’t diminish. But to protect your sales armour against the inevitable objections that come in sales, even remotely – preparation is key. Do you know how to handle an objection on the spot during a video conference? Can your team handle the heat on their own when selling remotely?
6. BE EXCITING!Video conferencing is the prime platform to show off your presentation skills. Everyone is video conferencing now, so you need to stand out – add some spark to your next sales meeting.
How will you build rapport?
How will you break the ice?
What presentation skills does your team have?
These remote SALES SKILLS are just the tip of the learning pyramid and make up part of your bespoke REAL | Remote Education Active Learning Program* developed around your sales team and delivered remotely by the KONA Group. *The recent changes in work from home situations globally has seen access to our REAL Learning Program skyrocket, so we will continue to fill the learning spots on a first in first scheduled basis. Call 1300 611 288 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a spot.