An Environmental Management Plan (EMP) needs to be taken seriously for any company in today’s business climate.
The benefits of an Environmental Management Plan (EMP) include:
1. Legal requirements and duty of care
A business owner who breaks the law will face prosecution, severe fines and a possible prison sentence. How would this impact on your business, customers, reputation, finances?
2. Reduce your business costs and save money
Consider a process which helps you reduce energy bills, reduce waste generation and handling costs (waste processing), reduced water cost and usage, minimise environmental costs linked to resource procurement and transport. Money saved increases your profits.
3. Consultation and communication
A tool to support consultation and communication with employees on environmental risks impacting the business.
4. Deal with non-conformance issues
Can save your business in time and money on costly non-conformance issues linked to environmental risk.
5. Promotes marketing, sales and brand perception
A high level of commitment, and corporate excellence for environmental stewardship with your customers. Your green branding credentials can put you ahead of your competitors.
6. Supports other areas of your business
Can be linked into other management systems e.g. Quality or Safety Management.
7. Recognition to a global standard of excellence
Consider the advantages of having an Environmental Management Plan bench marked against ISO 14001 – The widely known global standard of environmental excellence.
Will this benefit my business and my customers?
In a 2013 survey “Green Trend Tracker”[i] referenced by sustainable brands website, environmental reputation played a big part in consumer decision making e.g:
- 90% of people believe it is their responsibility to use and dispose of products responsibly
- 47% of consumers consider the environment when they shop
- 65% of consumers seek out a business’s environmental information
- 85% would like companies to educate them on how to use or dispose their products more responsibly
By consulting Risk Management Specialists from KONA Group, an evaluation of your business operations can be the first step in the evaluation of your company’s environmental reputation and performance.
KONA Group is also available for environmental auditing and training with programs customised to suit your needs.
If you have any questions, then get on the phone (obligation free) and contact KONA Group at info@KONA.com.au or call 1300 611 288.
[i] Green Trend Tracker – less-100-how-percentages-show-true-understanding-green-trends