- Nearly all of the team conveyed a sense of ‘being quite comfortable’.
- Sales force productivity, ROI and effectiveness was poor.
- Spending too much time with the ‘wrong’ customers.
- Greatest confidence was displayed in one-on-one interactions with ‘mates’.
- ‘Solution Selling’ didn’t not come easily to most of the team – closing was avoided in many cases.
- ‘Let me do a quote/estimation (and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I can come up with a compelling story)’ is as close as they come to a ‘value proposition sell’.
What we did …
- Introduced a National ‘solutions’ aligned sales process (Hearts and Minds).
- Introduced a Sales Productivity and Pipeline system.
- Realigned of selling time to high value customers and prospects.
- Developed advanced sales skills to sell higher up the food chain.
- Developed advanced merchandising/distributor development skills.
- Trained managers to sustain the development programmes.
- Replaced 70% of the sales team.
- Replaced 80% of the Sales Management team.
- Grew market share by 5% in a declining market.
- Measurement of sales force increased by 17% to ‘proactive & professional/consultative’ methodology.
- Customers all along the food chain worked closer to them.